Traffic and problems caused by traffic haVE plagued Watlington for years
A re-aligned B4009 – the Watlington Edge Road – will reduce traffic in Watlington’s historic town centre
OCC agree with this - as stated in their response to the MOD Site Planning Application
What will be the benefits of the Edge Road?
- Less HGVs coming through town
- Less traffic congestion and improved safety on narrow pavements
- Air quality will improve and damage to old buildings will be reduced
- Traffic using local ‘rat runs’ will reduce
- The general ambience of the town centre will improve making it an even more enjoyable place to live, work and visit
South Oxfordshire District Council and Oxfordshire County Council include the new edge road in their plans for future infrastructure. These local authorities are working with Watlington Parish Council to bring all the key parties together to agree a plan for how and when the new road will be built. The road will be funded mainly by the developers of the new housing sites along the route but the balance is expected to be provided from Government sources
A key aim is to provide the new road before the new homes
Some relevant images - click to enlarge - enforcement of HGV weight limits has been traditionally sporadic!